Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Just another Monday and Tuesday


After a crazy trip to Venice, I managed to sleep in a little and then write up two Italian Life and Culture essays. One was on unification of Italy and the other was on the renaissance. Then I headed to Italian class where we still attempted to master past tense. Vicky and Lauren were happy to be there:
After class I attempted to do some readings and I skyped my parents. Then the dean of the business school took us out to dinner at the amazing Il Teatro. The menu was already picked out for us but it was still really good. We got bread and red wine to start which is impossible to be bad in Italy. Then we got spaghetti with tomato sauce as the primo. Very Italian and very good. Then we got a flat piece of fried chicken and French fries. This was actually very scrumptious. The chicken was lightly fried and the fries were so great! Lastly after quite a few glasses of wine we got dessert. It was like this white jello with a chocolate sauce over it. I wasn't too keen about it because I wasn't a big fan of the texture, but it still had a good taste and a lot of people really liked it:
After that some of my fellow students and I drank a little rum, met with some other Americans and then went to the Lion's Fountain for a few beers. It was a good time:
I actually write my name on the wall like so may other study abroad students had done:
After that night, it was a little tough to get out of bed and get to class but I was there. We talked about Matteo Ricci and his relations with Chinese heirarchy of the 16th century (the Ming dynasty). Then we had a quick break (hour and fifteen minutes) that meant food for me. We then had a woman by the name of Tina Gentile who was the Italian manager of the country for this American based international company. She explained how she had journeyed from Anerican study abroad student to manager of the country's branch in Milan. Ms. Gentile explained all about the international market and the skills needed for it. She asked us to email any further questions we had for her and to use her as a contact in the future as well (she was really nice). Afterwards we had a lecture on food. It was taught by Alex who told us about customs involving meals and different regional dishes. It was pretty cool. She cut it early so we could see the parade for Michelangelo. He died 450 years ago on Tuesday and they had a big parade through the city for him. I watched it and then followed it to Santa Croce where he is buried so they could put a wreath on his tomb. It was kind if awesome:
Then they paraded away. Apparently they will parade more the rest if the year because this was such a big year for Michelangelo:
Then I headed to Subway for some food. This was my view of the Duomo on my way to Subway. I know you're probably curious why I would eat Subway in Italy, but I was really craving of. It's so different. I kind of like the Anerican version better. It might sound weird but the stuff at this Subway is just "too fresh". It just tastes weird. Everything is all juicy and I just wasn't expecting it. So yeah: 
After Subway it was time for me to head to our cooking lesson. We all got these little plastic aprons:
The guy Franscesco was really funny and they had these really quick guys come out if nowhere and clean up after us, which was nice. We started by making the dessert which got moved into the freezer, for after dinner so it could solidify. Then we made like am artichoke cake:
Paul, Stephanie, Mrs. Malone and me getting ready for the next dish to make.
Then we began to make pasta by hand and we made it nice and really thin. We actually made spinach and cheese ravioli. They were pretty good:
The artichoke muffin after it was baked, then some olive oil and a dash of pepper around it. Pretty tasty:
Everyone enjoying their meal:
Our ravioli turned out so good. They were really really good. 
Then out dessert was essentially the same one from last night, except with a strawberry mixture overtop of it:
John-Paul felt like Superman afterwards:
Then I went back to study Italian and do the other billions of things you have to while abroad. I saw this picture and thought it definitely fit a college student's life:
All together it was a really good 2 days. Florence is great!


No comments:

Post a Comment