Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Day 2

The second day, I woke up at around 7 and went on a nice run. I saw some beautiful sights right on the side of the river:
This was actually a monument to Karl Marx, I believe:






I really thought some of the architecture was amazing:


This was probably the coolest building I saw:

This was like a Coca-Cola, I don't know if it was a factory or museum or what it was, but it was there:
During my run there were small sections of the Berlin Wall that I saw:

It was really nice. Afterwards I went back and showered and then i went to breakfast. Breakfast in a European Hostel is never amazing but it is usually an all you can eat which I personally love. They typically serve deli meats, cheese, hard boiled eggs, bread, and sometimes even fruit. A lot of Americans do not like this breakfast. I definitely did not at first. Paige does not like it. I personally ate a ton of food and wasn't hungry for the rest of the day. I thought some of it was pretty good too.
Our hostel was kind of in an odd place, there seemed like there were those businesses and the beautiful river right near by and there were parts of the wall left as a memorial. It was pretty cool all together. Although some parts right near my hostel were pretty crappy:
I don't think I've ever seen a place more spray painted then Berlin:
It was kind of dirty and people were literally right on the sidewalk doing illegal drugs, it was crazy. Not the best area I think:
Then we all went to the free Berlin walking tour. It was pretty nice. The tour started at Brandenburg gate and it was really a pretty good tour:
We saw the hotel where Michael Jackson dangled his baby out the window:
Brandenburg gate is actually very large:
Our tour guide Amy reminded me of a friend from school. We saw a lot of impressive things but most of it was just Amy telling us stories because almost everything had been destroyed in WW2. There were some interesting things that happened. The next thing we saw was the Jewish Holocaust memorial:
We were not sure if we were supposed to be smiling for the picture at a place like this;

We saw the headquarters of the SS, and we saw the location of Hitler's bunker:
After the tour we went to a church, that I believe was called St. Mary's Church. It was a pretty church. Afterwards we went upstairs to the top of the dome and looked out with a beautiful view of the city. Then we headed out for a quick lunch. I got lasagna which was pretty good and I couldn't even eat it all because I had already eaten so much with breakfast. Afterwards we went through the Neues museum. We saw all sorts of cool things. There was an Egyptian exhibit, a Greco-Roman exhibit, a cave man exhibit. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool. Afterwards Paige and I went up to the TV tower. The views were amazing at 203 meters up. We saw almost anything we could ever want to see in Berlin. We also got some beers and just sat there, drinking and looking out over the city. After we went down we went back to our hostel to change. Then we went out for a pub crawl. I had a 2 liter boot of beer from Berlin and it was a really awesome time.

No comments:

Post a Comment