Thursday, January 30, 2014

After 3 days

Ok, so it's been a lapse since my last blog and I'll see of I can fit everything into this single blog post. I ended the last blog with us going to dinner on the first day. Well, everyone from our school (that's in the program of course) except two girls, showed up to the dinner which was at Il teatro on Via Ghibillina. It's safe to say that the pasta I had as the first course was easily the best pasta I've ever had in my life. I got the 4 cheese macaroni and it was amazing. Actually I would probably say it was maybe the best good I've ever had in my life. I was just blown away. I did get a picture of it though: 
After that the second dish was chicken and that was still really good but not even close to the pasta. After that I went to John-Paul and Matthias' apartment and saw their rooms. Then we went out for Gelato, which was really good. I got striatchitella, and I have no idea of I spelled that correctly. We walked across the pointe vecchio, met my roommate Paul and then walked to a couple of the girls' apartment, got lost on the way home and then found our way back. I slept as soon as I got to bed. The next morning I woke up at 7 (thanks to my alarm, unfortunately I think I woke up Paul as well...), went for a great run, where I saw a lot of the Arno, and it was just really sick. Afterwards, I tried to get to a Supermarket but everything stays closed around here until 9 A.M. which is such a bummer for me because we had to meet at 9:30. But I got to shower and then Paul and I followed our noses to a bakery that is literally on the corner of our building, and it was pretty good.i got a cappuccino and a croissant and so did Paul but he got Nutella on his, which I thought was awesome. We had to stand at the bar to eat or pay extra. It was pretty good. 
We met at the Santa Croce which was 2 blocks away from us (it's awesome) turn we walked to school (it's like 3 mins from Santa Croce walking) and had a quick lecture. After that everyone went to a sandwich shop for lunch but I went grocery shopping and then I stopped at a small sandwich shop for a salami sandwich and cook. It was really good and then I met back with everyone at Santa Croce for a walking tour:
The walking tour was pretty sick, and I learned a ton about Florence and how to navigate through it, which honestly isn't too hard, so I shouldn't complain. These are some of the two tallest towers in Florence: 
After the tour I went to back to the grocery store to get all the things I forgot the first time. I also opened the birthday card from my parents. My mom wrote "don't drink too much", which I though lt was a little funny. And then walked around Florence a little bit. I went to the soccer team's official store and bought a scarf. Here were two jerseys I saw at the store, they were 70 Euros:
My scarf go Fiorentina!: 
After that Paul and I went to Subway did my birthday dinner. Subway is kind of the same, except they sell beer and their 30 cm subs were 7 Euros and not 5 dollars. It was very sad :(. After that we went for Geato and I got Tiramasu this time and it was just delightful. Then we went out for my birthday. We tried to go to a club the guy at Subway recommended but we didn't even go in because we thought it looked so bad. Instead we went to the Irish Pub "The Lion's Fountain." Living in London I went to a lot of pubs last year and that definitely wasn't a pub. It was an Anerica college kid bar that just happened to be in Florence. I'm not gonna lie it was pretty sick place for your 21st birthday though. My friends bought me jäger bombs and shots. I got a wrist band that gives me a free shit every tie I buy a beer it cocktail and I thought that was pretty cool. Don't worry Mom I didn't drink too much:
The place was packed with American college students, including a bunch of sorority girls from UMD and one of them had turned 21 that day as well and so that was pretty cool. They got a picture with me because I was wearing a UMD shirt by chance and it was my birthday, felt like the celebrity I secretly think I am. The bar also had some Germans I met, the subway dude, and skme Italians. The bar was cool though. It had writing from the students and shirts for a lot Anerican colleges on the ceiling and when those students would come in, they would sign the shirt. It was a good time ad we stayed until it closed at 2. 
Then I woke up this morning, showered, and went to the same cafe for breakfast. I got a kind of pastry sandwich that had some meat in the middle. I wanted to try a coffee latte today but when I ordered it I  only said "latte" and failed to say "caffe latte". Latte is Italian for milk so I was given just a glass of milk with some really weird looks at the cafe :l. I rolled through it though and Paul and I only showed up like 4 mins late for the cultural differences lecture. We then went to lunch which was pretty good. Here's what we had. The girl in the picture is from the Mount and her name is Darcy: 
I also was able to get a shot of espresso after the meal like a normal Italian.
We then had a travel in Europe lecture. Afterwards we went to the one Euro shop and got notebooks for our first class tomorrow morning. These are the three notebooks I got so I can try and be more wild:
The paper in these notebooks is so weird too, but we couldn't find normal paper anywhere. Here's what the inside of these odd notebooks have inside:
Well after all that Vicky, Lauren, Kathleen and I took the long walk to Piazza Michelangelo for the view and the pictures. I would say it was worth it: 
Some say I remind them of David:
And of course I got a picture in front of the ponte vecchio, how do you not?: 
Then I went back to my room, sliced some fresh bread,and used some cheese and mortadella to make a fantastic sandwich with doe nice red wine. The thing that looks like a martini glass is actually a candle (calm down mom):

3 comments:

  1. Kevin, OMG!!! How wonderful for you my friend:) Gary and I wish you the happiest of birthdays!!!
    XOXO
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS......make sure you're aware of your surroundings:)

    ReplyDelete